Sand Sculpting Festival

It’s been many years since I went to the Revere Beach International Sand Sculpting Festival. The first and only other time I went was on a date. It was a great date and others followed and we won’t get into that somewhat sad topic.

I was excited to show Little this festival since it’s something pretty special and unusual, and the only one of it’s kind around here that I am aware of. They do not use sand from the beach, which I was interested to learn. Or, if they do, they combine a binding agent with it for “easier” sculpting.

I did a bit of research leading-up to this outing. One friend said they drove around for two hours looking for parking and gave up. No thanks! So, we drove to a stop on the Blue Line (Beachmont), parked there for a song, and took the T one stop to Revere Beach. Easy breezy!

We arrived by 10:30 in the morning hoping to beat the heat. The heat here in MA has been brutal (It’s 91 degrees outside as I type this) and I didn’t want to be out once it got worse in the afternoon. I had some friends who hoped to connect up with us, but I knew we’d be finishing up ahead of their arrival. I tried to stall by going for an overpriced ride on the Ferris Wheel.

She acted freaked out but I know she loved it!

We were sweltering after walking the length of the festival to view the sculptures even though it took no more than twenty minutes to see them all. After a break in the shade we walked down to the water to dip our toes in and I was surprised at how much cooler it was than up on the street just a short distance away. Ben showed up with his girlfriend Sara and he taught L how to skip rocks as my other friend Sheila and her family arrived.

I’ve been spending time with L for over a year now, but none of my friends have met her, so it was interesting to have everyone together, if not a little discombobulating. Sheila’s daughter and L splashed around in the waves until the inevitable happened and they were both drenched from head-to-toe! I didn’t mind – it would keep her cool!

We eventually headed out while the others started their walk to view the sculptures. We picked up a pizza on the way home and enjoyed it in the cool air conditioning!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: